Day in history for January 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- B.J. Cobb and B.F. Barrett are the only regular licensed auctioneers for the city of Rock Island. They are also licensed for the county. M. Ferguson, Esq. of Camden, is also a licensed auctioneer for the county.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Hull And Barker have put up 700 tons of ice in their ice house on 2nd Avenue.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Fire starting from unknown cause at 8 o'clock yesterday morning worked $2,500 damage in the Rock Island House. There is scarcely a room that was not blackened by smoke.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Yesterday morning A.F. Carlquist, 1847 16th Ave., Moline, was prepared for winter with a bin well filled with coal. Last night he discovered that practically all of his coal supply had been stolen. Mr. Carlquist found a cellar window partly open.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Police sought without success to locate a dog which bit James Spurgetis, 6, of 1617 21st St., Rock Island, while the boy was going home from Audubon School. The boy was bitten on his left ankle.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Smoke from a small laundry fire forced the evacuation of about 45 prisoners from the Rock Island County Jail Tuesday afternoon. The evacuation was ordered after smoke alarms failed to work and fire doors were discovered left open. No prisoners were injured.
Back: Available days in January 2005