Day in history for January 8, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Knox and Andrews are trying again for a ferry charter while Webber and Frizzell also are applying to the state legislature. We presume no franchise will be granted for competition with Spencer and Robinson's ferry here unless it is to the city corporation. The Argus favors a city-owned ferry.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- John Brown was accidentally shot by his employer, S.L. Johnson, Reynolds, while they were out hunting. The bullet flattened on the skull of Brown, who is in no serious danger.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- John J. Glenn, for 20 years a circuit court judge of this district, died in his Monmouth home at the age of 74.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- President Hoover has approved a proposal to build a bridge costing $275,000 connecting Moline and Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Four hundred more Rock Island public school children are getting a daily hot lunch this term. Serving hot lunches at Longfellow and Denkmann elementary schools began this year. The food is trucked to the schools in special containers that keep the food hot for hours from Central Junior High School's new kitchen.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- An American flag was stolen from the flagpole outside First Federal Savings and Loan, 1616 6th Ave., Moline, sometime over the past weekend.
Back: Available days in January 2005