Day in history for January 5, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus has moved to Charles Buford's new 4-story brick building at the corner of Eagle and Illinois streets. (In 1955, the site of the Cleaveland building.)
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Some Knights Templars of Davenport made New Year's Day calls in a log cabin set on top of a band wagon.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- ''Mother'' Jones, known for her activities on behalf of working men, will lecture at the Rock Island YMCA Jan. 12.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Board of Education voted to issue $280,000 in bonds to cover the cost of the Rock Island Public Schools stadium and part of the outlay for the new Denkmann School.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A new rolling mill which will produce aluminum sheet for America's newest look in buildings will be installed at Aluminum Company of America's Davenport Works at a cost of more than $5 million, it was announced today.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Moline High School Class of 1959 used $350 left over from their reunion fund to buy a new ''M'' for the school entryway. The old ''M'' had been there since 1959, when their class became the first group of graduates from the school. The current student congress at the school contributed to the purchase and a plaque commemorating the donors should be up soon.
Back: Available days in January 2005