Day in history for January 3, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The great project of lighting Rock Island with gas has been completed, and the celebration of the event came off at the Island City Hotel the night of New Year's Day. The spacious parlors were thronged with the beauty and chivalry of this and surrounding towns.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Emma Abbott is playing in ''Romeo and Juliet'' at Harper's Theater. Last night she came before the curtain to thank her friends in the Tri-Cities who started her on the road to fame as an actress.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Russians are at the end of their resources in their war with Japan. Russia has surrendered Port Arthur, it is reported.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Royal Neighbors of America have chosen a site west of Davenport on which to build a home for the aged.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Authorities are investigating a possible arson attempt at Lincoln School, 7th Ave. and 22nd St., Rock Island. The alleged arson attempt occurred while firemen already were at the school following a false alarm caused by a drop in water pressure in the school's automatic sprinkler system.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A new platform aerial fire truck will be delivered to the Silvis Fire Department in about 16 months following approval of the purchase by the city council.
Back: Available days in January 2005