Day in history for January 29, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Five sections of the Rock Island levee have been leased to as many individuals or firms for piling and selling coal. The city council charges rent of $50 a year for a 50-foot frontage on the levee.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Patrick Grogan was sentenced to life in prison and Patrick Ganey to 14 years for the murder of Ben Wittick, a farmer who was driving his team home on the Milan road when he was robbed and killed. The jury deliberated all night.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The play ``Babes in Toyland'' drew a large audience to the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Patriotic groups are discussing getting up a celebration of the 150th anniversary of a Revolutionary War battle fought on the present site of Rock Island.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Installation of two-way radios in Rock Island Fire Department vehicles is under way. Radio units already have been installed in the fire chief's car and the new 1,000-gallon pumper truck.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- An elderly woman in Moline told police she was betrayed by a kiss over the weekend. The 79-year-old woman said another elderly woman approached her and asked if she could kiss her. Later the woman said she discovered her coin purse with $10 was missing from her handbag.
Back: Available days in January 2005