Day in history for January 20, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- New 1-cent pieces will be issued from the mint in the next few days. They will be brighter than the old penny. On one side is the head of Liberty.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Dr. S.C. Plummer performed a delicate operation on John W. Palmer of Zuma, wiring together the fractured parts of his lower jaw.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Club is forwarding resolutions to congressmen urging appropriations to complete the Hennepin Canal.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The smallpox situation is clearing in Rock Island. Only nine persons still are quarantined.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A tragic fire claimed two lives at the Huber Memorial Home, west of 30th Street and near 9th Avenue, Rock Island. Heroic rescue work and rapid extinguishing of the estimated $30,000 blaze prevented more deaths. Five nuns of the Franciscan order and 10 elderly residents were in the convalescent home when the blaze was discovered.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Two Davenport youths, Ronda Warren, 12, and Lee Travis, 14, have dreams of entering the next Olympic competition in roller skating. They hope to enter international and American dance if roller skating is added to the Olympics. They practice skating almost daily at the Kimberly Pines Skating Center in Davenport.
Back: Available days in January 2005