Day in history for January 19, 2005

1855 -- 150 years ago
The Rock Island City Council passed an ordinance providing for the official weighing of hay and coal and the measuring of wood sold in Market Square. John L. Bean was appointed city weigher and measurer.

1880 -- 125 years ago
Mrs. Henrietta Jobe, a widow of Lt. W.F. Jobe, has been awarded a government pension. Her husband was a printer at The Argus both before and after the Civil War.

1905 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island Aerie of Eagles was constituted with 140 members. J.H. Free is the first leader of the lodge.

1930 -- 75 years ago
Six hundred members attended a dinner program observing the 25th anniversary of Rock Island Aerie of Eagles.

1955 -- 50 years ago
An ultra-modern 2-story department store building will be erected at the northeast corner of 5th Avenue and 17th Street, Moline. The J.C. Penney Co. has signed a long-term lease for the 2-story structure to be erected on the Josephson property and will close its present store on 15th St. when the new building is ready for occupancy.

1980 -- 25 years ago
A Rock Island woman has been chosen to serve on the Peoria regional committee for the 1980 White House Conference on Children. Marian McCart will represent the PTA at the monthly meetings of the committee.

Back: Available days in January 2005



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)