Day in history for January 18, 2005

1855 -- 150 years ago
C.A. Jeanneret, late of Philadelphia, has opened a new watch, clock and jewelry store on Illinois Street, directly opposite the Graham House.

1880 -- 125 years ago
Sheriff Perkins has arrested five women and two men on charges of creating a disturbance at Happy Hollow. The charges grew out of ill feelings during the strike of coal miners there.

1905 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island Aerie of Eagles was organized at Turner Hall Jan. 12. The lodge expects 200 members at the start.

1930 -- 75 years ago
The temperature today is 20 degrees below zero.

1955 -- 50 years ago
Additions and alterations designed to modernize the processing plant recently have been completed at Peerless Dairy Company, 1323 2nd Ave., Rock Island. The entire renovation program was undertaken for the purpose of raising the standard of sanitation and efficiency of the dairy.

1980 -- 25 years ago
Its premier issue contains two interviews, cartoons, details of Christmas gifts left unders friends' trees, jokes and a list of recent births. It's the ``Neighborhood News,'' written, produced, sketched and delivered by Michelle Mulcahey, 9-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mulcahey, 343 34th Ave., East Moline.

Back: Available days in January 2005



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Aug. 20, the 232nd day of 2014. There are 133 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: Quite a number of Negroes have lately been brought here by abolition offers returning from the army in violation of the laws of the state.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Miss Tillie Denkmann, of Rock Island, was making plans to accompany a Davenport family on a tour of Europe.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The German advance into Belgium was going apparently without serious check. The American ambassador at Berlin published a denial of the charge that Americans had been ill-treated in Germany.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Seventy-two members of Rock Island High School's 1939 graduating class are preparing to enter college — 34 of them at Augustana.
1964 -- 50 years ago: One of the oldest buildings in Milan, which for a number of years has housed the Milan Hotel, will be razed to make way for a modern, two-story office structure.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some are blaming it on the sudden influx of insects and the extreme humidity. Still others say the invasion was inspired by a recent movie. But whatever the reason, the Quad-Cities is swarming with bats.




(More History)