Day in history for January 16, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Hon. Winslow S. Pierce, late comptroller of California, arrived in town. He stops with his old friend Major Barrett, of the Rock Island House, for a few days.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- A hoop skirt was seen on 2nd Avenue in Rock Island, it was on a lady, and the people all said how strange it looked.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- A tank of gasoline nearly destroyed the washstand in the barber shop belonging to Frank Needham at 208 16th Street, Rock Island, and entailed a loss of nearly $25.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Quad-City Coca-Cola Bottling Works has leased the third floor of the Voss Building and will expand its operations.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Vernon E. Tyler, Rock Island, won the 1955 checkers tournament at the Tri-City Chess and Checkers Club, Davenport, and became the new Quad-City checkers champion. Tyler finished the daylong tournament with 10 wins, three draws and only one loss.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- After all the discussion was over and the votes were counted, Eldon Fawks and his fellow conservationists were winners. By a 15-10 vote, Rock Island County Board members rejected a zoning change that would have permitted a 100-room motel on 13.9 acres next to the Oak Valley Eagle Refuge above Hampton.
Back: Available days in January 2005