Day in history for January 13, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Minnesota Belle arrived at our levee from St. Paul yesterday and lay over last night before passing down. A steamboat in mid-winter is remarkable. The Minnesota Belle may be frozen in before it reaches St. Louis.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Mine owners at Hampton and Rapids City are preparing to hire men from Kansas City to take the place of strikers.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Stockholders of the Carnival City Packet Company elected Captain W.A. Blair, Davenport, president.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Oliver P. Olson, former assistant postmaster in Rock Island, died at 77.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island police today are seeking the owner of a fur coat, ''retrieved'' Wednesday afternoon by a dog. Howard P. ''Cub'' Buck, 1100 25th St., Rock Island, told police late Wednesday afternoon that his dog returned home with the coat. The coat has been turned over to the police department. So far no one has claimed the garment.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- An aging population and growing acceptance of nontraditional lifestyles has set the Quad-Cities ''on the verge of a condo explosion,'' local developers say. In the past year, building of condominiums in the area has quadrupled, and more than 100 area families became condo owners.
Back: Available days in January 2005