Day in history for January 11, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Billy Lee, Rock Island banker and legislator from this district, voted for a bill to allow free Negroes to testify in any court, if called as witnesses, but the bill was tabled, 37 to 31.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Ice has accumulated in such quantities in the Rock River as to force a shutdown of the Milan Paper Company. The huge cakes of ice damaged the dam.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- C.J. Pedersen was presented with a past master's jewel on his retirement as worshipful master of Rock Island Lodge No. 658, Masons.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Many motorists today saw a man jump to his death from the government viaduct at 24th Street. The man who jumped during the 4 p.m. heavy traffic hour is unidentified.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A new and ultra-modern classroom for vocational agriculture students at the Hillsdale High School is included in the recently completed addition to the school. The classroom also includes laboratory facilities.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Marge and Harold Hellgren, and Arkie and Bob Fifer, formerly of Hampton, appeared on Lawrence Welk's New Year's Eve show. The former Hampton residents, all employees of Ametek Company, moved to Rancho, Calif., in August 1977, when the company closed its East Moline plant and relocated that plant in California.
Back: Available days in January 2005