Day in history for January 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island post office has been moved to the new 4-story brick building of Bailey And Boyle between East and West Eagle streets at Illinois street. The rooms are airy and lighted by gas. The office has 800 mail boxes, 142 of them key boxes. J.S. Kelly, Esq., postmaster, should be congratulated for not sparing pains or expense.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island is a fast-growing city and needs a hospital to which the floating population can be taken for proper care during emergencies of accident or sickness.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Thirty farmers in the Coal Valley-Orion area have formed a vigilante organization and will prosecute hunters who trespass on farm lands.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island won the Big Nine basketball tourney by handing Canton its worst defeat in three years. The score was 14 to 6. Canton had beaten Moline, 11 to 10. All teams used the stalling tactics made famous by Canton.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The first 1955 baby born in Moline is Mary Ann Hennenman who arrived at 4:34 a.m. in Moline Public Hospital.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- About 35 reports of damage, amounting to an estimated $1,750, have flooded Rock Island police because of a pellet gun-wielding vandal apparently trying out his weapon on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
Back: Available days in January 2005