Day in history for December 7, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Farmers should pasture more sheep. The American Agriculturist magazine says mutton is more healthful than beef or pork.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Farmers are scarce in town today, since the roads are too muddy for wagons.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island County Bar Association will build itself a library in the courthouse and will spend $2,400 for books.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Farmers complain that careless hunters are shooting livestock. Two Rock Island County hunters have been charged with larceny for shooting a farmer's pig.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport police were attempting to trace the source of a stick of dynamite reportedly found by a 11-year-old Bettendorf boy who carried the dynamite into Ted's Lunch, 906 E. River St., Sunday. The youth told officers he found the stick near the French And Hecht parking lot and took it to the lunchroom to call the police.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A 119-year tradition will end at Augustana College next year if officials approve a plan to allow men and women to live in the same dormitory. Administrators at the staid Lutheran institution, founded in 1860 by Swedish immigrants, are mulling a proposal for co-ed living on a small scale for the 1980-81 school year.
Back: Available days in December 2004