Day in history for December 5, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- At the Island City Hotel we noticed one table entirely surrounded with Quakers. Their quaint but rich dresses were an object of attraction and their quiet modest ways much admired.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Davenport sawmills, except for Schricker And Muller's, have shut down for the season.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- P.F. Meenan was elected Supreme Knight of Council No. 53, Knights of Father Matthew.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Bernice McBride, 11, leads in The Argus vote contest to choose a Little Queen to ride with Santa Claus.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A 7-hour traffic tie-up was broken at 6 o'clock this morning on Routes 2 and 92, five miles east of Silvis, after a fleet of Peter Pan Bakery pickup trucks came to the rescue of a company tractor-trailer unit which had overturned, dumping tons of bakery goods on the road.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Lynn and Bruce Duffy have spent the past six months on a 28,000 mile trek through the 48 continental United States, Canada and Mexico. The former East Moline residents have been visiting Bruce's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Duffy, 1117 38th Ave., East Moline, for two weeks, and will set out on the last leg of their cross-country travels Wednesday.
Back: Available days in December 2004