Day in history for December 30, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Lemuel Andrews of Rock Island and Ebenezer Cook of Davenport are among the directors re-elected to the board of the Chicago And Rock Island Railroad.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Teachers say they never knew a time when there was so much throat trouble among the scholars as now. It is a good thing the Christmas vacation is a long one.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- John B. McConnell, manager of the St. Joseph, Mo., team in the Western baseball league has been placed under contract to manage the Rock Island club in the Three-I League in 1905.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. H.G. First was elected commander of the John Buford Post of the GAR.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Snow falling from the roof of the building knocked two holes in the aluminum canopy over the entrance of McCabe's Department Store, 1713 3rd Ave., Rock Island, last night.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Al LaMothe has an alternative to money. LaMothe, of Coal Valley, has been trying to interest friends and neighbors in starting a bartering publication where they could publicize what they are willing to swap for goods and services they need. LaMothe, a skilled furniture maker, wants to trade his skills for plumbing services, destistry work, anything at all his family needs.
Back: Available days in December 2004