Day in history for December 19, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Bowen is making great preparations for the holidays. His store is filled with curious things for the little ones and attracts a great deal of attention.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- M.W. Tobin, agent of the Emma Abbott Opera Company, was in the city today and arranged for the appearance of the company at Harper's Theater, Jan. 1.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- S.J. Ferguson was elected high priest of Rock Island Chapter of Royal Arch Masons.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A Washington order gives the U.S. Army engineers additional office space in the Rock Island post office.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Prophetstown, leading all the way and by as much as 33 points at one time, defeated Geneseo, 76 to 63, Saturday night in the dedication game played in the newly constructed Geneseo Junior High School gym.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- At 11:39 a.m. Tuesday, Nicholas Latko became the first baby to enter the world in the new ''birthing room'' at Illini Hospital in Silvis. ''It's a very nice way of bringing a child into the world,'' said Nicholas' father, Ron Latko of 3026 10th St., East Moline. Birthing rooms are designed to let mothers experience labor, deliver their babies and recover, all in the same home-like atmosphere.
Back: Available days in December 2004