Day in history for December 12, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The Mississippi at this point is in fine boating order, though at a very low stage. The steamer John Wilson runs regularly every day as a ferry. The thermometer is at 36 above 0 and the weather is of the most delightful character.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Two massive lamp posts have been put in front of the main entrance to the Rock Island House. Fancy globes will surmount the posts, which will add much to the appearance of things about this popular hotel.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Calvin A. Beardsley owns a rare old history and geography book published in 1793.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A wild duck, flying low over the streets in the Aledo business district, was captured by Hays Hall.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Scott County has 5,409 farm dwellings, it was reported by Donald E. Incze of Davenport, crew leader who was in charge of the 1954 census of agriculture conducted by the Department of Commerce.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- It appears that one or more Nuclear Regulatory Commission guidelines were broken in Sunday's discharge of 4,000 gallons of radioactive water from the Quad-Cities Nuclear Generating Station in Cordova. The NRC and Commonwealth Edison Co. are investigating the incident. The radioactive water flowed into the plant's spray canal, from which an undetermined amount was dumped into the Mississippi River.
Back: Available days in December 2004