Day in history for November 26, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The immediate objective of the new Rock Island mayor and council should be street and sidewalk improvements, the buying of suitable ground for a city cemetery and improvement of our public squares. The city is free of public debt for the first time in years.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Conrad Wittick was attacked and murdered by robbers on the Milan road near noon today. That new invention, the telephone, stopped the murderers at the bridge, scared them out of Davenport, stopped them on the railroads and kept them away from Moline. They were caught.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Work has started on the new Belgian Catholic Church on 24th Street.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Chinese warlords have agreed to end their civil war in order to join in resisting the Soviet Russian armies, which are invading Manchuria.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The new W.T. Grant Company store at 1613 5th Ave., Moline, will open to the public at 9:30 a.m. Friday with formal ribbon-cutting ceremonies, with Ald. John Lawson, mayor pro tem, doing the honors in the absence of Mayor Paul C. Johnson.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A fire, ''with smoke like you wouldn't believe,'' raced through the Trail Dust Inn, 525 14th St., Moline, about 3:30 this morning. The fire left the longtime nightspot a charred shell.
Back: Available days in November 2004