Day in history for November 19, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Many men are out searching for Charles Spencer, 17, who disappeared while he was hunting four days ago. A reward of $300 is offered for information. Extra: As The Argus goes to press, word comes that Spencer's body was found in the Rock River near William Carr's place.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- There seems to be a feeling in favor of abolishing tolls on the Rock River bridges. The city needs the money to maintain the bridges but it is asking outsiders to pay premium for the sake of trading in Rock Island.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Women's Christian Temperance Union today petitioned the Rock Island City Council to appoint a policewoman or police matron.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. G.A. Sheets resigned today as pastor of First Baptist Church, Rock Island. He is considering three calls.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A search was under way today in the Quad-Cities area for safe burglars who took an estimated $4,000 Thursday night or early this morning at Downing's Dairy, Inc., 2268 24th St., Rock Island.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Police found Nicholas J. Chirekos, 59, of 34 Woodley Rd., Rock Island, dead with two bullet wounds in the back of his head in his second-floor office at the Plantation Club restaurant, 3701 7th St., Moline, at 2:08 a.m. Sunday.
Back: Available days in November 2004