Day in history for November 10, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
A fine block of brick houses built near the courthouse by W.L. Lee, banker, this season burned to the ground at 2 a.m. today. The general impression is that the houses were fired by a political enemy of Mr. Lee, who was the anti-slavery candidate for the legislature.

1879 -- 125 years ago
The roadway on the island between Davenport and Rock Island is being macadamized in a most durable manner.

1904 -- 100 years ago
The new east wing of the Modern Woodmen of America building will be ready for occupancy by January 1905.

1929 -- 75 years ago
The financial campaign of the Rock Island baseball team has been aided by the sale of a young catcher, John Graham, to a major league team for $1,000.

1954 -- 50 years ago
Dedication of the new $500,000 Rock Island YWCA, 3rd Avenue and 16th Street, will take place Wednesday at 8 p.m. The building will be dedicated to the memory of the late Mrs. John H. Hauberg, a founder and the first president of the local YWCA.

1979 -- 25 years ago
Prophetstown police found themselves the victims of marijuana thieves. According to Police Chief Larry VanDyke, the thieves broke a 6- by 4-foot plate glass window at the police station and then forced a Plexiglas display window to get at a display of drug paraphernalia which included a plastic bag full of cannabis.

Back: Available days in November 2004




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.




(More History)