Day in history for October 6, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- A Scotchman, Thomas Pritcher, was murdered outside one of the dance halls on the bluff behind Davenport at 11 o'clock last night. He was pushed off the steps and stabbed in the heart by a man who has been arrested.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- When improvements to the building are completed, Christy's Bakery will be a handsome structure, adding much to the appearance of 3rd Avenue just east of the courthouse.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Raymond Nold, 10, of near Joslin, accidentally was shot and killed while he was hunting.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- In a contest to name the new athletic stadium, the judges have chosen 10 names to submit to the Rock Island Board of Education. The stadium was dedicated yesterday, but as yet it has no official name.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The McCabe Department Store in Rock Island Friday and Saturday will have the grand opening of its new cafeteria-style dining room. During recent weeks, workmen have been busy converting the McCabe tearoom into a cafeteria.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Members of the Blue Knights Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club are out to promote safety on the highways in off-duty hours. If you haven't yet seen the denim-vested motorcyclists riding in formation in groups of nine, it's because the local chapter, Iowa 1, was formed just last month.
Back: Available days in October 2004