Day in history for October 10, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Warren, the gentleman who lately came from the East to open a bookstore here, now is receiving his goods. His store is opposite the Island City Hotel. His location is a good one and his success certain.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The cheap rates to Cincinnati, only $8 for the round trip, likely is to induce a number of Rock Island people to take advantage of the low fare to visit the Cincinnati exposition.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Overseer Sweeney again is superintending the poor business in Rock Island.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Fred J. Hodges has been named president of Rock Island park commissioners.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Forecasts of more rain and a flood crest on Rock River added to the woes of many Quad-Cities and western Illinois residents today in the wake of a record 24-hour rainfall of 4.89 inches as recorded at the Quad-City Airport weather station.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Oscar Mayer And Co., for 100 years producers of pork and beef luncheon meats and bacon, is moving into the turkey business. The company announced it has reached an agreement in principle to acquire Louis Rich Inc., which markets a line of processed turkey products. The merger depends on an exchange of Louis Rich common stock for Oscar Mayer And Co. common stock.
Back: Available days in October 2004