Day in history for September 6, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The public is invited by John Warner, contractor, to be present on the island tomorrow at 9 a.m. to witness the laying of the first stone for the first pier to the first bridge across the Mississippi. His steamboat, Lightfoot, will convey those who wish to go directly to the coffer dam by boat.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The National political party held a county convention and nominated John A. Wilson for county treasurer, James McElherne for engineer and D.J. Morris for coroner.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Bicycle thefts are numerous just now.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Yvonne Benham was awarded a Girl Scout honor for rescuing a young woman from drowning in the Davenport natatorium.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Vandals smashed glass in the doors of a union office and a liquor store in Rock Island during the weekend, but apparently nothing was taken from either place. The buildings were the office of Local 109, Farm Equipment Workers-UE, 4331 16th Ave., and the Walter Spector Liquor Store, 2227 3rd Ave.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Clayton Fawkes of Lombard is dedicated to hunting down ginkos, the oldest species of tree on earth. And in Hampton, behind the village hall, he found the ''grandmammy of ginkos.'' The tree, planted in 1854, is 75 1/2 feet high with a spread of 70 feet and a girth of 216 inches measured 2 1/2 feet from the ground.
Back: Available days in September 2004