Day in history for September 5, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- That magnificent great mirror at the Island City Hotel Barbers Saloon adds much to the elegant appearance of the room. Lewis and Abram Reyno, the proprietors, have fitted up the room in a very tasteful manner and employ the most accomplished workmen they can find.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- If fires should break out now in Rock Island, a catastrophe could ensue, because most wells are without water, owing to the drought.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- LaCrosse, Wis., city officials are here inspecting the Rock Island waterworks.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Victor M. Olander, secretary of the Illinois Federation of Labor, is in Rock Island to plan the state convention to be held here.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A further investigation was underway today by Whiteside County authorities after a member of the Wooded Acres nudist colony near Hillsdale was hit in the head by a .22-caliber slug Sunday night. Two boys, ages 13 and 15, residing near the camp, have admitted firing .22-caliber rifles in the vicinity but denied shooting directly at camp members who were playing volleyball.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Cold skiers at Milan's Mount Camden will have a place to warm up this winter. The Milan village board gave the go-ahead to plans by the Milan Jaycees to build a $10,000 all-purpose building in Camden Park.
Back: Available days in September 2004