Day in history for September 3, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- C.C. Webber and S.R. Tede have rebuilt their Union foundry and are doing business at a rate of about $50,000 a year. Their building was blown down in the recent tornado.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A fire, started by tramps, destroyed the old county poorhouse on the Milan road (9th Street) last night. The building was erected by Rinnah Wells, who came here in 1828 and lived as a neighbor with the Indians.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Three thousand men, it is expected, will march in the Labor Day parade to be held in Rock Island.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Baseball Club will finish the season with a debt of $8,000 but expects to stay in the Mississippi Valley League next year.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The Geneseo Fire Department put into service a new 1,250-gallon water tank truck which will provide additional water supply for the department in extinguishing area fires.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A plan to build an Eagle Discount Supermarket on the site of the former Downing's Dairy won the first of three necessary OKs from Rock Island officials Tuesday night. Officials of Lucky Stores Inc., parent company of the chain, received approval from the city's planning commission to rezone two pieces of property next to the store site at 24th Street and 23rd Avenue, where the dairy burned down in December.
Back: Available days in September 2004