Day in history for September 28, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Harper's new pork-packing house on Front Street is very commodious, 40 by 100 feet. The two-floor brick building was put up in just two weeks.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The famous actress Fanny Davenport will appear in a play in Harper's Theater, Rock Island, Oct. 2.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The work of rebuilding the tracks from the village of Sears to Milan was started today by the Tri-City Railway Company.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Illinois City last night celebrated the opening of a paved highway connecting Edgington and Illinois City in lower Rock Island County. One speaker said nothing except the discovery of gold or oil in the neighborhood could compare with the new road in economic importance to Illinois City.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Miss Marie Lucia Esposito, East Moline High School senior, reigns today as the 1954-55 Illinois Fruit Queen. She was crowned during the Calhoun County Apple Festival at Hardin. Plans are under consideration for holding the 1955 Illinois Fruit Queen contest in the Illinois Quad-City area.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A Moline man was arrested after a car crashed through a gate at John Deere Plow And Planter Works. A company security guard told police a man drove his car through gate 21 about 5:30 p.m. Thursday after he was refused admittance.
Back: Available days in September 2004