Day in history for September 25, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Many new houses have been built east of the boat yard this year, and along the street opened last fall. We have been partially blind to the fact that Rock Island is growing rapidly.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Republican county committee for the year includes J.O. Starr, Moline; W.H. Womacks, Drury; George Allen, Coe; Alexander Owens, Black Hawk; and William Jackson, Rock Island.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island and Davenport companies placed second in competitive drills for Woodmen Forester teams at the St. Louis Exposition encampment.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council considered an ordinance for 60-minute parking on 17th Street between 2nd and 3rd avenues on motion of Ald. Frank J. Beranek.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Passengers aboard the Delta Queen, stranded excursion steamer at Rock Island, were aroused to the shriek of sirens at 6:48 this morning. Sparks from the steamer's smoke stack were blown into the pilot house where they ignited a box of rubbish.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island officials say it could cost as much as $10,000 to find out what happened to money missing from the Rock Island treasury. ``We're out a lot of money, not only the money that was stolen, but also the money it's costing to research the thing,'' Mayor Jim Davis said.
Back: Available days in September 2004