PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for September 20, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
A channel has been put through Campbell's chain in the Rock Island rapids of the Mississippi River so that there never will be less than four feet of water for navigation.

1879 -- 125 years ago
William Lee Jr. was appointed mine inspector for Rock Island County for the ensuing year.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Spreading of the rails was blamed for the wreck of a merchandise train of the Rock Island Lines at 38th Street. Seven cars were derailed.

1929 -- 75 years ago
H.H. Cleaveland, Illinois Director of Public Works, will address the convention of the Illinois Association of Insurance Agents.

1954 -- 50 years ago
The Bonnie Lassies, a corps of baton twirlers under the direction of Bonnie Groves, Rock Island, placed second at a National Baton Twirlers Association contest at Fulton. Members of the newly organized corps range in age from 14 to 16. They practice weekly in Moline.

1979 -- 25 years ago
The old Hofson House at 804 11th Ave., Moline, was leveled yesterday to provide room for a parking lot for visitors to Butterworth Center, the Deere-Wiman House, and the Rock Island County Historical House. The old home was the former Episcopal manse, and was purchased from the Episcopal church by the William Butterworth Memorial Trust.

Back: Available days in September 2004




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)