Day in history for September 18, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Stephen A. Douglas addressed the people of Rock Island County from the steps of the courthouse. He appeared here on a swing through five counties of northern Illinois.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- M.V. Gannon resigned as an alderman in Davenport. He will move to Creston, Union County, Iowa.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Lester Peck, 9, drowned as he fell into the Mississippi River at the foot of 18th Street, Moline.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Illinois American Legion, meeting in Rock Island, elected Edward A. Hayes of Decatur as commander.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- There's a red-faced safe thief somewhere in the Quad-City area today. He broke through two doors at the Empire Food Center, 2321 5th Ave., Moline, Friday night to get at a small safe in the store, then broke out a rear door to carry it off in a car or truck. But, said store officials, the strong box was locked but had no money in it. They bank their money periodically and keep none in the store.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island's outdoor warning sirens, used to alert the public to tornadoes and other hazards, are out of range of 1,300 residential lots and the Sunset Park marina, city officials learned Monday. But they say the situation is better than it was a month ago, when the sirens didn't work at all.
Back: Available days in September 2004