Day in history for August 9, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
A man advertised for a wife in a Cambridge newspaper, the Henry County Dial. A girl aged 15 responded, ''I'm weary of the single life, would just as soon become your wife.''

1879 -- 125 years ago
O.J. Dimock has received a life-size stone image of his former Newfoundland dog. The stone will be placed over the grave of the Dimicks' two children, where the dog had lain on guard ever since the children died of diphtheria. F.O. Cross of Chicago was the sculptor.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Oscar Wiley, a steeplejack, has been hired to paint the tower of St. Mary's Church, Rock Island. Wiley's wife, now working in Indiana, also is a climber.

1929 -- 75 years ago
The stock market collapsed today, with losses in the price of shares running from $2 to $26.50. The setback is considered temporary.

1954 -- 50 years ago
A severe gale caused damage estimated at $100,000 Monday night when it struck Kewanee, unroofing the city hall, shattering store windows and uprooting trees. The storm hit just 15 minutes after the city council had adjourned from the second floor council chambers.

1979 -- 25 years ago
The Colona Township Board approved a 100 percent increase in the prices of lots in the township's three cemeteries: Dayton, Colona and Glenwood. Each lot consists of two gravesites and the new price will be $200 per lot for township residents and $600 for non-residents.

Back: Available days in August 2004



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)