Day in history for August 7, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Volunteer police forces have been organized in each ward in an effort to stop brickbat burglaries and robberies. Captains of the volunteers are R.T. Shaw, J.S. Kelly and Frazer Wilson.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Thirteen carloads of stone will be shipped this year for construction of Rock Island Arsenal buildings. The stone will come from the Anamosa quarries.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Old Settlers Association will meet at the Watch Tower Inn Sept. 1. Mayor Charles P. Skinner of Moline will give the address of welcome.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Servus Rubber Company team won the championship of the Rock Island girls' softball league championship.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- An additional 130 corn storage bins for Scott County will be added with work starting in September. The bins will be located at Dixon, Donahue and Eldridge. Each bin will have the capacity of 3,250 bushels.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Memories of the coal mining era resurfaced last week when the Blossomberg mine, idle since World War II, briefly saw daylight again. Workers for Five Cities Construction Co., Moline, were laying a storm sewer in the new Windcrest Addition, east of Coal Valley, when bulldozers laid bare the mine entrance. Piles of coal still lay on the rubble-covered mine floor. The construction workers covered up the mine the day after they discovered it.
Back: Available days in August 2004