Day in history for August 30, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The most dangerous chain of rocks in the upper Mississippi extend across the stream near Campbell's Island, below Hampton. More steamboats have been wrecked there than on any other rocks. Messrs. Swan And Co. today began blasting the rocks away.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Fred Buckley of Edgington has received by express from Oxford, Ohio a fine Poland China hog.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Fire destroyed the grocery store and home of J.C. Weaver. Besides being a grocer, Mr. Weaver works as a carpenter in Kalhke's boat yard.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- H.H. Cleaveland of Rock Island, Illinois Director of Public Works, Secretary of War James W. Good and Gov. Louis L. Emmerson are on an inland waterway tour inspection.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Fire blamed on an electrical short circuit caused damage estimated at $2,900 Sunday night at the Manhattan Cafe, 2228 4th Ave., Rock Island. Three fire companies, including the aerial company, were sent to the restaurant at 11:20 p.m.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Two retaining walls, erroneously built on public property and now in ''hazardous condition,'' may be given away by Rock Island officials so they are not liable for damages if the structures fall. The walls, in the 2800 block of 8 1/2 Ave., were built without permission on city right-of-way, but are integral to the foundations of buildings there.
Back: Available days in August 2004