Day in history for August 26, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- John Lusk has come out with a magnificent hack which must have cost close to $400. It runs with the other omnibuses in the Lusk And Pence line between Rock Island and Moline. Who could refuse a dime for a ride in so fine a carriage?
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The opera ''Pinafore'' will be presented by a company of fine actors and singers at the Harper Opera House tonight.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Daniel M. Reynolds, a resident of Drury Township in this county since 1835, died at the age of 82.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A youth of 18 was committed to jail for 30 days today for having sworn falsely to the age of the girl he married. She is 14.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Accounts of Communist acts of vandalism and harassment while he served in the Air Force in France were told by T-Sgt. Conrad C. O'Dell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jake O'Dell, 270 16th St., Silvis, who has returned after three-and-a-half years at the Air Force's largest depot at Chateauroux.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A portfolio containing a certificate worth $10,000 was stolen from the car of a Rock Island school administrator. John Tibbet, director of curriculum and instruction for District 41, told police two youths entered his car and took the portfolio, which also contained his savings passbook from the First National Bank of Rock Island. The robbery occurred outside of Tibbet's home.
Back: Available days in August 2004