Day in history for August 24, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- William Russell has dug his own grave, planked it, and made his own tombstone, leaving nothing for his friends to do but deposit him when the time comes. At present the independent Mr. Russell is healthy.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- George Buford of the Kansas City branch of the Buford Plow Works is visiting the home plant in Rock Island and with relatives.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- John Crubaugh, pioneer railroad and bridge contractor, died. He was vice president of the Rock Island Savings Bank.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Dedication of a memorial in Black Hawk State Park to Rock River Rangers featured a meeting of the Rock Island County Old Settlers Association. The Rangers were 58 first settlers who organized to fight for the Quad-Cities area in the Black Hawk War of 1831-32.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island councilmen voted unanimously to consider a bid by the Illinois Bell Telephone Co. to lease new radio equipment for the city's police department. The bid, according to city purchasing officer Gordon A. Stearns, calls for payment of $224.54 per month for a 5-year period.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Moline's King Plaza has been sold for $1.6 million. The plaza, 3626 23rd Ave., includes a Geifman's Food Store, Kinney Shoes, Walgreens Drugs and other shops. It is now co-owned by the Central Life Assurance Co. of Des Moines and Tom Luksetich, a Dubuque investor.
Back: Available days in August 2004