Day in history for August 23, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Two Irishmen in the employ of railroad contractor E.P. Reynolds on the island died last night of Asiatic cholera. They were at work when they became ill in the afternoon and they died before midnight. There are no other cases on the island.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A contract has been let to the Rock Island firm of Reynolds, Saulpaugh And Co. for the C.B. And Q. roadway from Brooks Crossing to the depot.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The first monotype typecasting machine in the Tri-Cities has been installed by Kramer And Co., Rock Island printers.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- International Harvester Co. awarded a $300,000 contract to Priester Construction Co. for a new wheel manufacturing building and other improvements at Farmall Works.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Today's rain slowed down operations in moving an old 3-story house, formerly located at the southeast corner of 19th St. and 7th Ave., Moline, to its new location on 24th St., between 11th Ave. B and 11th Ave. C. The house was making little headway because of wet brick paving.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Don Knight, RR 1, Moline, has hammered, glued and stapled more than 1,000 pieces of wood since January to fashion a dollhouse for his 4-year-old granddaughter Melissa. Four stately columns beckon you to all the charm of the South in this two-story, two-bath, three-bedroom house with huge living room and formal dining room.
Back: Available days in August 2004