Day in history for August 20, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- A mass meeting was held at Cambridge to whip up excitement for a branch of the proposed Western Air-Line Railroad from Lacon through Cambridge to Rock Island. Citizens promised to buy at least $50,000 in stock.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- At a debate before the Euelpsis Club, the subject argued was: ''Resolved, that his country was more advanced intellectually and morally 100 years ago than now.'' Debaters were L.W. Beal, F.E. Compton, Fred Osborne and M. McIniry.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- ``An Aristocratic Tramp'' and ''Two Little Waifs'' are the next plays to be presented by traveling stock companies at the Illinois Theater.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Graf Zeppelin, a German airship on a flight around the world, will pass over the Quad-Cities as it crosses the continent from west to east.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Marvin Mueller, a 25-year-old Reynolds farmer, was named ''Good Neighbor of 1954'' during ceremonies on the rain-drenched Rock Island County Fairgrounds north of Hampton. Mr. Mueller is known to always be at hand to lend help.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- A spectacular thunderstorm overnight dropped 2 to 4.7 inches of rain on the already saturated Quad-Cities area, flooding numerous homes and businesses, spawning mud slides, and washing out bridges. And more rain, some locally heavy, is forecast for tonight, the fourth straight night, and Tuesday.
Back: Available days in August 2004