Day in history for August 14, 2004

1854 -- 150 years ago
The Republican office tenders its thanks to Mr. D.D. Smith of the Graham House for a liberal supply of choice cigars.

1879 -- 125 years ago
The socialistic, communal life of the Bishop Hill Colony in Henry County will be no more after an auction Sept. 5 divides the rest of the lots and lands of the colony.

1904 -- 100 years ago
Mrs. Margaret Woltman and daughter Pauline left today for St. Louis, where Miss Pauline will make her second concert appearance at the World's Fair.

1929 -- 75 years ago
''On with the Show,'' starring Betty Compton, will be the first all-talking film photographed in natural colors to be shown in Rock Island, at the Fort Theater.

1954 -- 50 years ago
A deluxe packaging method to prevent damage to long playing records during shipment has been developed by a former Rock Island resident and once WHBF radio engineer. He is W. Robert Brittenham, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.R. Brittenham, 1615 24th St., Rock Island.

1979 -- 25 years ago
Despite engineer reports that it is dangerously undermined and in need of ''emergency'' attention, Rock Island councilmen have put off repairs of a bridge for two weeks to have a first-hand look at the problem. The concrete bridge serves four families in the area between Watch Hill and Black Hawk State Park.

Back: Available days in August 2004




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)