Day in history for August 12, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island merchants are making a mistake by not sweeping their sidewalks. Locust trees, overhanging many of the downtown walks, contribute to the litter, which makes a poor impression on visitors. The use of brooms is imperative.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A new floor is being laid in J.R. Johnston's store in the Negus building.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Allyn Fleming, formerly of The Argus staff and now editor of the Galveston, Texas, Evening Tribune, is visiting Rock Island.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Col. Art Goebel, winner of the Dole air race from California to Hawaii, visited Rock Island in his victory plane, the Woolarac.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The Hammond-Henry District Hospital at Geneseo has been chosen as one of three hospitals in Illinois to serve on a committee to establish standards, qualification, and functions of the Head Nurse groups in various hospitals.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- The steer was a little too big for its owner, but 11-year-old Kathy Hoge of Cambridge still took top honors Saturday in the livestock show at the Illinois State Fair. Her 1,165-pound Chianina-Angus, shown by Dan Kiesewetter of Farmington, was selected grand champion. Kathy, who weighs 80 pounds, said the steer was born on her grandfather's farm, and she worked hard to raise him for the state fair show.
Back: Available days in August 2004