Day in history for July 7, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- E.C. Cropper, one of the trustees of school district No. 1, requests us to say public schools will commence today in that district, under tuition of Miss Bowen. The trustees plan a splendid schoolhouse for next year.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Squire Hayden has returned from Island Wild, delighted with his vacation sojourn at the resort so popular with Rock Island people.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Ben T. Cable of Rock Island was named on the resolutions committee at the Democratic National Convention.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Fans Association is trying to devise plans to increase attendance at home games of the city's entry in the Mississippi Valley professional baseball league.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A smelly, smoky pall hung over Davenport today. Firemen are battling what they term ''the worst fire in the city dump's history.'' They said it may take four days of almost continuous operation to get the slow-burning blaze out.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Two East Moline girls spent several days on a 100-mile bicycle trip from East Moline to Savanna and back. Fenessa Sheldon and Cindy Hahn left Sunday afternoon, wheeling into Thompson at 10:30 p.m. They accepted a ride with a Thompson police official for the final two miles to Sheldon's parents home in rural Savanna. On Monday they peddled into Savanna, and made their return trip on Tuesday.
Back: Available days in July 2004