Day in history for July 6, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Illinois veterans of the War of 1812 met in Aurora on the Fourth of July to discuss the pension bill now before Congress. The old soldiers are asking for free land. About 20 Rock Island County veterans met in Bowling's Grove, near Camden (Milan), to hear oration by John A. Chandler, Esq.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Sylvan Boat Club racers of Moline won two rowing races at the Dixon regatta.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Julia Spencer Robinson has given the Rock Island Public Library an oil painting of Rock Island and Moline as seen in 1844 by an artist J.C. Wild.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Real Estate Board has endorsed the proposed city zoning ordinance following its revision.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island police found the ''most backward driver of the year'' early this morning. Ronald D. Hammond, 22, Davenport, was spotted driving his car for three blocks in reverse. He was stopped at 23rd Street and 3rd Avenue where he explained that part of his steering mechanism had dropped off, preventing him from driving forward.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Residents along the 4600 block of 51st Avenue were complaining not too long ago that their road was too dusty, so South Moline Township officials poured $300 worth of oil on the street. But that created an even stickier problem, they say, claiming too much oil was used and it's ruining cars, clothes and carpeting.
Back: Available days in July 2004