Day in history for July 4, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Blakely Orchestral Chorus Company has arrived in our city and will give one of their unrivaled concerts this evening at the courthouse. We would advise our citizens to avail themselves of this opportunity of hearing fine music.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The Reporter is the name of a newspaper started at Reynolds by J.R. Harrick.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. E.R. Maloney have gone to St. Louis to make a two-week visit at the exposition.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- James F. Witter was elected for the fifth time as president of the Rock Island Board of Education.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Several Rock Island and Moline buildings will be featured in the July issue of Architecture and Design. The entire issue of the magazine is devoted to the work of Swanson and Maiwald, Moline, architects and engineers. The magazine will include a sketch of the proposed new Moline Senior High School.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- The ring on Brad C. Hanson's finger never meant more than it does today. Hanson lost the ring 11 years ago. He was duck hunting in a marshy lake near Columbus, Ind., when he noticed the ring had slipped from his finger. A girl walking along a beach this spring near where he was hunting came to his rescue. Inscribed on the still shiny ring were Hanson's initials, the name of the college and the year he graduated.
Back: Available days in July 2004