Day in history for July 28, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Since the establishment of a night watch and the vigilant gathering into the lock-up by the marshall of every man found with a brick hidden under his hat, we hear much said about the quiet and order prevailing in Rock Island.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- People are asked to be on the lookout for a gang which escaped from the Moline calaboose. Among them are the ruffians who staged a riot July 4 at the Halfway House.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Barnum And Bailey Circus is showing here today.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Work will start in August on the new Denkmann Elementary School in the Rock Island southeast bluff district.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- The East Moline City Council is expected to set a deadline in the near future for the elimination of outside toilets in areas where water and sewage facilities are available. The action was the result of an informal meeting with members of the board of health and property owners in areas where the vaults have been banned.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Milan had its first bank robbery in its 100-year history Friday night as a young, masked gunman stole an undetermined amount of money and commandeered a bank employee's car. Police said a man wearing a nylon stocking over his face and brandishing a .22-caliber rifle entered the Union Federal Savings and Loan Association building shortly before 5 p.m. Friday.
Back: Available days in July 2004