Day in history for July 27, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Abolitionists of the east have hired Cassius M. Clay as a missionary to the west in preaching the doctine of abolishing slavery. A meeting announced for the courthouse last night to make arrangements for the reception of Mr. Clay in Rock Island was a fizzle.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- The first bar of roller iron from Rock Island Arsenal's new rolling mill was cut into pieces and made into souvenir paperweights. Stamped on the souvenir are the words: ''Sample of first bar rolled at Rock Island Arsenal.''
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Robert Pears of Moline has been appointed assistant county clerk by H.B. Hubbard.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Work has begun on the $10,000 improvement project in the tourist camp at Black Hawk State Park.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Formation of a ''swing shift'' of Rock Island police officers for the purpose of assisting regular shifts during peak crime hours was announced by Police Chief Claus C. Miller. The ''swing shift'' measure is made possible through the recent addition of three civilians, all women, to the police department.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- At the suggestion of a Rock Island business group, the Rock Island City Council voted to remove and replace parking meters along several downtown streets. City crews will remove meter heads along 3rd Avenue between 21st and 24th Streets, replacing them with three-hour parking limit signs.
Back: Available days in July 2004