Day in history for July 22, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Fire destroyed a 2-story brick building on Front Street in Rock Island. It was occupied as a furniture shop and store and as a dwelling by A. Renfro and family. N.B. Buford was the owner of the building.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Reynolds, Salpaugh And Co. of Rock Island is laying 38 miles of railroad near Knoxville, Iowa, and is under contract to build a branch railway out of Omaha.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Lee Shannon have returned to Rock Island after a visit to the St. Louis World's Fair.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Kenneth D. Breisch, 5, was fatally injured by a truck while he was at play.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- ''Though WOC-TV will be on the air this fall with color television, don't get too excited.'' That was the warning from Ray Guth, program director of WOC-TV, to members of the Moline Exchange Club at their noon luncheon at Glenn Moore's. ''Frankly, color television does not produce a good picture, yet,'' said Guth, who just returned from a week's visit to NBC headquarters in New York.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- After less than one year of existence, ''Moline Road'' is on the junkheap. At least the name is. The Rock Island County Board voted to name old Illinois Route 2 ''Rock River Road,'' settling, perhaps, a two-year controversy about what to call the road after the state yanked its numerical designation.
Back: Available days in July 2004