Day in history for July 14, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The Blakely Orchestral Chorus Company has arrived and will give a concert tomorrow evening in the courthouse. We are requested to say that the sawdust will be removed from the floor of the courthouse, in order that it will be in perfect order for ladies, as well as gentlemen. Tobacco chewers must refrain from spitting on the floor.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Sawmill workers of Rock Island and Moline are striking for a 10-hour day and no reduction in pay. They say they now work 11 hours a day for $1.25 a day.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Otto Huber has returned from a visit to the world's fair in St. Louis.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- B.C. (Buck) Wheat today succeeded Walter Genin as manager of the Rock Island baseball team, which is in last place in the Mississippi Valley League.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Dean Stone of Silvis, rookie pitcher for the Washington Senators and an East Moline High School grad, took a big step forward on the path to fame when he was declared the winning pitcher in the National League-American League All-Star game at Cleveland. The former area prepster pulled his tour of duty during the eighth inning of the contest, won by the AL's All-Stars, 11-9.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Friday the 13th went out with style in the Quad-Cities area, with a tornado watch, flash floods and downed power lines.
Back: Available days in July 2004