Day in history for July 13, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus became a daily newspaper today, in order to meet the wants of our fast-growing town and to amplify the prestige which Rock Island has in the east as the best-known frontier city of the west. Since its first issue on Oct. 18, 1851, The Argus has been a weekly.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Jacob Wollenhaupt, an old resident, died. He was a grocer and formerly was chief of the city's volunteer fire companies.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Maennercher, an organization of German-American citizens, will picnic and hear a concert at Huber's gardens Sunday afternoon.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- A committee of supervisors is inspecting lower county road improvement projects.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Recovery of a safe, still unopened, which had been stolen from a Rock Island service station early Saturday morning, was announced today by Assistant Police Chief Lawrence O. Jones. Jones said the safe, containing $166.70, was found by Lawrence V. Skoglund, operator of Larry's Standard Service Station, 38th St. and 18th Ave. It was located in a ravine on the south side of 31st Ave.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Three generations of fire fighting by one family in Moline comes to an end July 22 with the retirement of Les Hallquist. Hallquist, who followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather on the Moline Fire Department, retires after 27 years on the force.
Back: Available days in July 2004