Day in history for July 1, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- Orr, better known as Angel Gabriel, while preaching at Lawrence, Mass., was shot by a man in the crowd. The shooter was seized by the mob, strung to a tree and hanged until dead.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- A special omnibus last night took members of the Old Settlers Society from Market Square to the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Bell on Broadway (22nd) Street. The Bells were honored on their 50th wedding anniversary.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- Frank J. Otis, a Harvard Medical School junior, was hurt after the motor of his plane stalled, causing the plane to dive into a pond near Boston.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- A joint city plan for East Moline and Silvis remained up in the air today while Silvis officials attempted to arrange a meeting for a final decision. East Moline taxing bodies agreed to sponsor the plan whether they were joined by Silvis or not.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island councilmen have agreed to study liquor-license fees after city tavern owners protested that they pay some of the highest rates in the state. Ed Gleason, president of the Rock Island City Tavern Association, told councilmen their license fees are almost double those of similar-size cities.
Back: Available days in July 2004