Day in history for June 6, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- We have just received a large and beautiful variety of new job type and assure the public that we can now execute any kind of job work in as good style as any other establishment in this region.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Sunday school teachers of Rock island, Moline and Milan will have a grand picnic on Credit Island the 17th.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- East Moline saloonkeepers are in trouble and all five have been arrested. The ordinance of East Moline does not permit selling of liquor on Sunday, which is alleged to have been going on for some time. Numerous complaints have been made.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- People who saw the John Robinson circus in Rock Island in 1879 will be guests of The Argus when the circus again shows here June 19.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Sheriff Morris E. Muhleman said he is planning to seek prosecution of friends and parents who are instrumental in teenagers obtaining liquor. The sheriff said investigations in the last three months have disclosed more teenagers have been obtaining liquor at their homes or through friends than by direct purchases at taverns.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Someone throwing objects at cars on Illinois 92 in Rock Island was the object of a police search Thursday night. Kenneth L. Dillie, of Joy, told police he was southbound on the expressway between 7th and 18th Avenue when something was thrown at his truck and broke its windshield.
Back: Available days in June 2004