Day in history for June 26, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- E.P. Reynolds, contractor for the grading for the railroad across the island of Rock Island, informs us that he will have the work completed and all his shanties removed from the island by next September.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- Another tramp was run over by a train from which he was jumping last night at Moline. He also was brought to the tramp room of the Rock Island Armory. Three Rock Island doctors amputated his left leg but will wait until he gets stronger before removing his right leg.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- Ralph Sheriff of Reynolds had the highest percentage in the competitive examination for the free scholarship at the University of Illinois to be granted to one student of Rock Island County.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Farmall Works will be enlarged by the construction of two buildings and the adding of 1,000 workers.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Fire damage amounting to $400 was caused to exhaust fans in a truck belonging to the Iowa-Illinois Gas And Electric Co. The fire is reported to have been caused by a cigarette tossed among the paper cartons containing the fans in the rear of the truck.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- Sterling Cosmetology School, a downtown Moline institution for 22 years, is moving to East Moline's 42nd Avenue. Ed and Carol Lasky, co-owners of the school, say they expect the building to be completed and to be moved in by mid-September or October.
Back: Available days in June 2004