Day in history for June 23, 2004
- 1854 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has ordered all people living on Illinois Street (2nd Avenue) to build sidewalks of stones, brick, planks or gravel before Sept. 1.
- 1879 -- 125 years ago
- About 300 tramps arrived at 11 last night on a C.B. And Q. train. Policemen and the sheriff's force marched the men to the courthouse square, guarded them there until 5 a.m. and then marched them out of the city. None were ill-treated.
- 1904 -- 100 years ago
- A Tri-City stock and grain broker reportedly lost more than $50,000 playing poker, but he declined to answer questions at a bankruptcy hearing on the ground that the answers might incriminate him.
- 1929 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island office of the United States Housing Corporation was closed today, since buyers of the government-built homes of the World War period now owe a balance of only $56,478. In 1918 the government built 651 houses in the Quad-Cities to relieve the housing situation caused by the growth of Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1954 -- 50 years ago
- Moline policemen are going to be cooler this summer. Aldermen approved a motion to allow policemen to wear short sleeved police shirts with open collars. Previously, the policemen have worn long sleeved shirts and ties year-round.
- 1979 -- 25 years ago
- The nationwide independent truckers' strike spread to the Quad-Cities, with most owner-operators staying off area roads.
Back: Available days in June 2004